Orzo is an easy and delicious side dish, complimenting it with some new and flavorful ingredients makes it extra fantastic. The dried cherries offer a bit of chewy tartness, the salata ricotta offers a sharp saltiness and the arugula and basil some peppery and sweet freshness. The colors of the finished dish celebrate Italy!
Drain pasta and put the pasta on a large cookie sheet, drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss, spread out, and set aside to cool.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound lemon or plain orzo pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 2 cups fresh arugula (about 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta cheese)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and put the pasta on a large cookie sheet, drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil,
- Once the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine. Serve.
Adapted From | Giada De Laurentiis