Cilantro Lime Sofrito
Cilantro-Lime Sofrito is one of the tastiest and most complex recipe’s we’ve tried. A small amount added to any dish elevates it and brings out layers of flavor. Perfect mixed into rice, couscous, and omelets.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Starters, Sides & Snacks
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 c finely chopped yellow onion (3 to 4 medium onions)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 1/4 c finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, zested
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon, fresh lime juice (1 lime)
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and salt, and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook the onions slowly, stirring often, until they are soft and light golden, 1 hour.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cilantro, lime zest and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Let cool.
Source: Chef Annie Pettry