The perfect cocktail for the upcoming holiday season or anytime. Pick up a few extra cranberries and mix up some festive margaritas, the unusual addition of five spice gives this libation an unexpected and tasty pop of flavor.
- ¾ cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 lime wedge, plus 2 oz. fresh juice
- 4 oz. fresh orange juice
- 6 oz. tequila
- Bring cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and ¼ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and jammy, 30–40 minutes. Mix in orange zest; let cool.
- DO AHEAD: Jam can be made 5 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Mix salt, sugar, and five-spice powder on a small plate. Rub rims of Old Fashioned glasses with lime wedge; dip in salt mixture and fill glasses with ice.
- For each cocktail, combine ½ oz. lime juice, 1 oz. orange juice, 1½ oz. tequila, and 2 Tbsp. cranberry jam in a cocktail shaker; fill with ice. Cover and shake until outside is frosty, about 30 seconds. Strain into prepared glass.
Attributed To | The Red Cat, NYC
- Serving Size: 4