However, glass bowls will work as well. The amount served depends on the size of the serving dishes and the number of people you intend to serve. If you are going to serve caviar be generous with the service.
- 375g Petrossian Alverta President Caviar
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Small White Onion
- 1 Bunch of Small Diameter Scallions
- 8oz Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan.
- Cover them with cool water about 1 inch deep.
- Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 11-12 minutes at sea level or 14-15 at altitude.
- Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking.
- Peel eggs and gently separate the yolks from the whites.
- Using the small holes on a box grater and gentle pressure from the palm of your hand, grate all the whites, set aside in a bowl.
- Rinse and dry the grater and repeat with the yolks, set aside in a bowl.
- Finely hand dice the onion and set aside in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the scallions and set aside in a bowl.
- Crush some ice and put it in a bowl, sprinkle some kosher salt on the ice, this will help it last longer. Nest a slightly smaller glass bowl into the ice and fill with caviar.
- Fill the other five bowls with egg white, egg yolks, onions, scallions and cream.
- Place a mother-of-pearl (nonreactive) spoon in each of the 6 bowls.
- Serve with either mini toasts or blinis.