Fragrant, savory coconut rice made with Jasmine rice, virgin coconut oil, and whole fat coconut milk blended with aromatic lemongrass and kaffir lime. A simple cooking technique ensures fluffy, perfectly cooked rice every time.
The addition of lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves takes this coconut rice to new heights. This will be your new favorite rice.
Coconut, Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime Rice
Fragrant, savory coconut rice made with Jasmine rice, virgin coconut oil, and whole fat coconut milk blended with aromatic lemongrass and kaffir lime. A simple cooking technique ensures fluffy, perfectly cooked rice every time. Pair with Asian main courses, stir-fries, or curries!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Rice
- 2 cups (360 g) Jasmine rice, rinsed and drained well
- 1 tablespoons of extra virginn coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons (5.6 g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon if using other brands like Mortons)
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) cold water, or for something extra special substitute with, coconut water, Genius Whole Coconut Smoothie or a combination of both.
- 1 (13.5 oz) canned full-fat coconut milk (*mix well before measuring; I prefer Thai Kitchen Brand)
- 2 –3 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 1 stock of Lemongrass, smashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of picked Cilantro Leaves
- Combine the rice, coconut oil, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gently stir until all of the coconut oil has integrated fully and lightly coats the rice kernels (without breaking them).
- Add the coconut water/water and coconut milk, and stir to combine. Add Kaffir Lime Leaves and smashed Lemongrass. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Place over high heat and bring to a vigorous boil. Remove the lid and thoroughly stir the rice mixture with a spoon. Cover once again, reduce to low heat, and set a timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, set the saucepan (still covered with the lid) off the heat. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, remove and discard the lime leaves and lemongrass, top with toasted coconut, zested lime, cilantro leaves, season to taste as necessary, and serve. Leftover cooked rice can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 days or frozen and thawed for later use..
- Drain rice very well after rinsing, and if possible, insure that it’s almost dry before it is mixed with the coconut oil. To do this, you can set the rice in a fine-meshed sieve and set over a pot/bowl (if using a pot, turn on a burner for a few minutes to allow the residual heat to dry the rice over the pot.